Bumbleberry

Monday, December 20, 2010

Krumkake...

If you know what it is, you know how yummy this stuff is.  If you don't know what it is, you could be wondering how to pronounce it, let alone why I would want to eat it.

Well, it's not a very appetizing name.  The correct pronunciation is "kroom-caca."  I say that name to people and tend to get some laughs.  No, I'm not eating poop and it's not a "bad word".

I am eating a delightfully thin, crisp sugar cookie.

It's something that my Grandma Harms and Aunt Debbie would make every year for Christmas when I was little.  They had it rough.  They made them using a krumkake iron.  They could only make one at a time and it usually resulted in at least one person getting burned.

I'll admit...I have it easy.  I found a "krumkake baker" at a specialty kitchen store a few years ago.  It makes 2 cookies at a time and comes with a handy little tool to help make them into cute horn shaped treats.  After I told my mom about it and my desire to start making krumkake for the Harms family Christmas, she bought it for me.


In our family, it is typically a Christmas cookie and is only made during Christmastime.  This being said, it takes some re-learning in order to get the cookie just right.

The first ones usually are either too small, too big or too burned.


At some point, it usually oozes out the side of the baker.


But in the end, you get a beautiful, yummy, little crispy horn of a cookie.
Look how thin it is!


Even Harley hangs out by my feet trying to get a little piece of the action.


They're yummy.  Wish I could share with all of you, but these lovely things will be going to the Harms Family Christmas again this year.  This time without me.  I have to work and help deliver some Christmas babies.

And if you happen to be at that Harms Family Christmas, you might have to wrestle the delicious krumkake away from Dawn.  She loves 'em as much as I do.


These are for you Harmsie!  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. YUM!!! Merry Christmas, Jen!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to seeing you this weekend! p.s. I just polished off a couple of krumkaka... they are so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for Christmas Eve Day and your speciality, Krumkake. Geesh, I don't recall having given you the Krumkake baker, but I'll take credit for it - AND in that case, it was a VERY wise investment! :-) Thanks for doing all you do for us, especially since you won't even be able to be there. You will DEFINITELY be in our thoughts and we savor the goodness of Krumkake as only you can make it! Lots of love, Mom!

    ReplyDelete