This year my family's gift to each other was a family vacation...and I'm warning you in advance, there are a lot of pics when a family goes on their first vacation together.
Growing up on a farm, we rarely had an opportunity to take a vacation and those vacations were very rarely more than one night. It usually involved a night at a hotel with a pool during the winter. Embassy Suites was our hotel of choice...complete with continental breakfast. For those 2 milkings we let the cows fend for themselves...just kidding! My dad's cousin Larry would usually spend the night at our house and take care of the cows for us. It was always a special night away...nights that I don't think will ever be forgotten by my sisters and me.
This winter, we decided to up the ante and drive more then 30 minutes from home.
We went to the Dells...Chula Vista to be exact!
We rented a 3-bedroom condo. It was enough room for all 14 of us! Yes...14!
10 adults and 4 kiddos age 3 and under.
Well...we might have benefitted from another couch or comfy chair, but that's pulling at strings.
We headed out last Friday, January 7th. If you all remember correctly, we were in the midst of a slight snowstorm that day. We saw lots of cars in the ditch, but managed to stay out of them ourselves.
Our first night was spent settling into the room, eating some supper and heading down to the waterpark.
Not all of the kids were thrilled. The babies got chilled and hung out with the non-water going adults (Did you know they frown upon preggos on the waterslides? Just Kidding)
Ava, on the other hand, was thrilled and enjoyed every minute of the park.
Most of the adults enjoyed themselves too. But the big surprise? My Dad!
He's turning the Big 6-0 next month. That's right. 60!
For a 59 year-old, I think he had almost as much fun as Ava.
He told us when we were planning the trip that he wouldn't be going down any slides.
I told him that all Ava would have to do was say "Let's go on a slide, Papa" and he'd be putty in her hands.
Turns out that Ava didn't even need to bat her pretty browns at Papa.
He was a willing participant!
The "Toilet Bowl" was his favorite with the "Mat Races" in close second.
He enjoyed beating his daughters.
He still got in some "Ava time" though.
She's blurry cause she was so excited to go on a ride with Papa.
Needless to say there was a lot of waterpark action.
There was also a lot of snuggling the kiddos. For my Mom, that was her highest level of fun.
The baby watchers...
note that Mom is holding Jayde...her highest level of excitement.
The waterpark Peeps...
The "Toilet Bowl" was his favorite with the "Mat Races" in close second.
He enjoyed beating his daughters.
He still got in some "Ava time" though.
She's blurry cause she was so excited to go on a ride with Papa.
Needless to say there was a lot of waterpark action.
There was also a lot of snuggling the kiddos. For my Mom, that was her highest level of fun.
The baby watchers...
note that Mom is holding Jayde...her highest level of excitement.
The waterpark Peeps...
All in all, we had a great time.
The guys bonded by staying up all night Friday playing cards...even my dad!
And when I say all night, I mean ALL NIGHT! They finally went to bed at 6am!
Crazy.
I was in bed by 9:30!
We arrived home safely on Sunday, January 9th.
And for the record, even though there was a bet in place debating when us sisters would get into a fight and someone would cry, no fights were had and everyone got along great!
Rob and my first job when we got home?
Pick up the pup.
Harley stayed at a local kennel for the weekend.
We think he's forgiven us now.
I think vomiting is his version of payback.
He's feeling better now and we are getting back in the non-vacation groove.
I need a vacation from vacation!
The guys bonded by staying up all night Friday playing cards...even my dad!
And when I say all night, I mean ALL NIGHT! They finally went to bed at 6am!
Crazy.
I was in bed by 9:30!
We arrived home safely on Sunday, January 9th.
And for the record, even though there was a bet in place debating when us sisters would get into a fight and someone would cry, no fights were had and everyone got along great!
Rob and my first job when we got home?
Pick up the pup.
Harley stayed at a local kennel for the weekend.
We think he's forgiven us now.
I think vomiting is his version of payback.
He's feeling better now and we are getting back in the non-vacation groove.
I need a vacation from vacation!
No comments:
Post a Comment