We had another doctor appointment today for the little man to check his bilirubin level and his weight...again!
Good news!!!!
He now weighs 9 pounds!
His bili level was at 10.7!!!!
Now, it's still not "normal", but it dropped over 4 points in 1 week.
That's the biggest drop we've seen since he was born!
Needless to say, I was thrilled!
We also now have a hungry man on our hands.
I am breastfeeding and yesterday, if he wasn't sleeping, he was attached to me!
Don't get me wrong, it's a great bond and all that, but there's only so much a mom can take.
I talked about it with the pediatrician today and she recommended supplementing him with either EBM or formula after his feedings.
I was a little dillusional about breastfeeding (I think).
I imagined feeding him, he'd sleep for a few hours, wake up and eat again.
I'd have so much supply that I'd have enough stocked up to feed him till he's 1.
Wrong!
I never imagined how much of an emotional thing it is. Feelings of inadequacy wash over me when he is crying for more and I simply don't have any left to give him. I literally cried the first time I gave him formula since I left the hospital. It's making me cry now! Hormones are a bitch!
I've now decided that I can't feel guilty 24/7 and that I need to do what's best for my little man, even though it might make me a crying sack of mush. I want him to be a rolly-polly and chubby thighed baby.
I'm hoping that supplementing him will do that.
Hopefully I'll have some rolly-polly pics soon.
In the meantime...
Meeting Cousin Wyatt for the first time.
4 weeks old!
Little hands
After reading portions of your post regarding breastfeeding, all I can say is, "been there - done that!" Your love for your child is not measured in ounces of breastmilk you provide for him. Keeping him (and YOU) happy is your #1 priority and your ultimate goal.
ReplyDeleteI love the picture of Wyatt with Michael ... did you notice them doing the "Boy Cousins' Secret Handshake" ... it was cute ... and I'm sure there are more to come! He's adorable, Jen ... you're a terrific Mommy and Michael loves you ... and so do I!!
"Nanny Peeps"
Jen, Reading your post brought me back to my early days of motherhood with Sydney. When I went to the pediatrician with her for her millionth weight check and they handed me a can of formula to supplement I cried like they asked me to give her gasoline! I have also been there, done that and my heart goes out to you. Newborn boot camp is stress like no other and I hope that this hump is a fast one for you! You are doing a fabulous job and deserve a pat on the back and sending online hugs to you from me. Take care and keep up the good work. He is beautiful and you are doing a great job.
ReplyDeleteSomeone needs a serious update to her blog!!! I want to hear all about Michaels appts today!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm trying to wait patiently here...