These pics were taken on his 2 month Birth Day...April 15th! I love the stickers that go on his onesie to show how old he is in these pics. (Thanks, Ana!) I also got an idea from another co-worker to take the pictures of him in a white onesie every month so we can see how much he's changing. (Thanks, Joni!)
When he was started on the Zantac for his acid reflux the doctor encouraged the use of a pacifier. The reason being that when babies have acid reflux, the more they suck the more comfortable he feels. The unfortuate part was that Michael was not liking his pacifier and would only use me as his human nuk. When he did that, he would have more volume in his stomach which would make the acid reflux worse. What a vicious cycle! Since he's been born we've tried 5 different pacifiers. Since the acid reflux diagnosis, we've tried to concentrate on only one so we don't confuse him too much. We've been focusing on the Soothie paci since it's the closest looking nuk to the bottle we're using. We have a couple Soothies, but we got this one at a baby shower and I think it's adorable! (Thanks again, Ana!) Yes, the monkey is attached to the pacifier! Michael likes to hug it sometimes.
We've continued to go to the chiropractor for his colic/acid reflux to see if it will continue to help. The first night after his first adjustment was great! He slept for 8 hours (doesn't mean mom does, though)! Since then it has been hit or miss. Some days he's good; still fussy, but not the ear-piercing horrible screams. Some days it's bad...really bad. We're still going to the chiropractor. I figure it can't hurt.
However, yesterday was another bad day and I called the pediatrician again. (These people are going to love me, I can tell!) When Michael was initially given the prescription for Zantac, the doctor mentioned that if it didn't help, we could try something else. Well, after 2 weeks, I thought that his symptoms should have been better by now. I called the clinic and told them what was going on...projectile vomiting, constant screaming and urping up all the time and screaming afterwards. This morning they got back to me and tonight we started a new medicine...Prilosec. We were told that it can take 2-3 days to start to see a difference and it should be better after the first week. Let's hope!
This might be TMI:
I've also started to feed him by bottle. I'm pumping and giving him the milk that way. It gives me a little peace of mind knowing that he is getting enough and tends to be more satisfied after feedings. This way he is also not attached to me 24/7. I know that a lot of people think that nursing is a great bonding experience and should be the only thing done, but for right now, it's working for us. It also turns out that I'm not making enough milk to meet his needs. He's taking about 3 ounces a day over what I am making. It still makes me happy to be giving him the breastmilk, but at least I know he is getting what he needs. I'm still taking an herbal supplement called Go Lacta recommended to me by a lactation consultant. I'm not convinced that it is working, but at this point, I'll do what needs to be done to keep my supply up.
I feel that the majority of my posts have been a little down-in-the-dumps. I feel like I do nothing but complain and to be honest, I think I still have quite a few bouts of the baby blues. Just to clarify, I love my baby and would do anything for him. But like the pediatrician said, it's a very high stress time, he's a high stress baby and I need to rely on those around me for help and support.
So many of you have expressed sympathy and support for both me and Michael. Thank you for that. Whether it be holding him so I can take a nap, getting me out of the house, or letting me take a few hours out of the house without Michael, thank you. Again, I love my baby, but sometimes a mom needs a break.
With that being said, I also know how lucky I am for how healthy (generally speaking) that Michael is.
My co-worker and her husband recently found out that their unborn baby girl has hypoplastic left heart syndrome. This is an extremely difficult diagnosis and their sweet baby girl will need to have heart surgery in her first week of life that she may or may not survive. Any prayers for Baby Kaiya and her family are much needed and appreciated. As the pediatrician told me: There is only so much that medicine can do. Many prayers and hugs to Jilanne, Jason, Brady and Baby Kaiya!
Here are a few more pictures of my little guy:
Great Post Jen! Soon he'll get over the acid reflux and fussiness and you'll be dealing with tantrums instead :)
ReplyDeleteI'm ready to keep him for an evening - I can handle a fussy baby!! So when you and Rob are ready - bring him on over!!
Love you both!
Hang in there, Jen! It's all the little things that no one tells you about nursing/motherhood that can get overwhelming! Connor used to projectile vomit- at about 6+ months and it turned out that he was lactose intolerant. Not sure if you're nursing exclusively or supplementing, but I remember that worrisome feeling. Also, I tried Fenugreek to boost my milk supply. It worked well. You're doing a great job!!! And anyone who is a mom knows you are not complaining- just sharing! Good luck, hang in there and good for you for sharing. You're encouraging other moms that feel the same way!!
ReplyDeleteJen, hang in there! I promise you that it gets easier... there is a light at the end of the tunnel (no matter how dim that light may be right now.) Breastfeeding was a huge challenge for me with Lila and we ended up pump n' feeding her by about 10weeks. Just do whatever works for you! I'm not that far away, let me know anytime you need a break! (I've got some serious baby fever going on... I'd love some babytime!)
ReplyDeleteLove to you!