My sisters (sans Jo), aunts and I actually started the Mother's Day festivities yesterday at the Mall of America. For the past 4 years, we have been volunteering for the Race for the Cure instead of actually walking it. I know it's a thrilling experience and seeing all those people walking in honor of, in memory of, or just because. For us, the thrill is being able to register and see all those faces one on one. We get to hear their stories. One woman I registered yesterday was from out of town. She and her relatives from Norway were leaving this morning and were not able to be at the race/walk. She just happened to be walking by and asked if she could donate. As we got to talking, she told me she had been diagnosed in December after finding a small lump during a self-breast exam. This lump had not been detected on x-ray or mammogram. Today she is doing well and is in remission following surgery and radiation.
Along those same lines, our family is thankful for the initiative 2 of my aunts have shown. Two of my maternal aunts have been diagnosed with breast cancer and both found it on their own. One has been a survivor for over 13 years and one was recently diagnosed and is still goin through treatments. We are thankful that we can celebrate their recovery and health with them! Kinda makes me want to do and exam right now!
Today, we spent the day at my parent's house; had some brunch, played some cards and just hung out. All of the family was there except for my sister, Jo, who had to work again. Then I realized that if I weren't on maternity leave, I'd be at work too! Thank God for maternity leave! Here are some pics from the day. Please note that Miss Ava is holding Michael in all of the pics. She's quite the persistant little thing!
Ava singing "Twinkle Twinkle" to a fussy Michael
All 5 cousins!
Papa and Nanny with the Grandkids
Wyatt doing "tummy time" with Michael
Blowin' Bubbles
Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms and Mommas-to-be!
No comments:
Post a Comment