Bumbleberry

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

And so it ends...

I knew I shouldn't get too excited.  Right from the start, I had a gut feeling something would go wrong.  My mom kept saying "I don't know how you can't be excited about your new house!  In just (this many) days we'll be able to see it!"

Something went wrong.

In the purchase agreement, there were 2 lines stating that the financer would send a final letter of mortgage approval by June 24th.  The letter was not sent.

The sellers, who had been looking for an "out" since June 7th, finally got their "out."  By the lender not sending the letter, it gave them an opportunity to cancel the sale of the house, even though everything was ready to go...financing in place, etc.

All a technicality.

We found out that we were probably not going to get the house on Saturday, June 29th...2 days before we were supposed to close.  We had many conversations with our real estate agent, who was trying his hardest to convince the seller's agent and the sellers to continue with the sale.

I cried for 12 hours straight.  I'm not exaggerating.  I couldn't sleep Saturday night.

Sunday continued with trying to work something out.  We spoke with the banker handling our mortgage and he confirmed our worst fear.  Not only had he not sent the letter, he informed us that it was not sent because it "slipped his mind."  I was furious and let him have a piece of my harshly worded mind.

We were advised by a real estate attorney that our agent had contacted to show up for closing, planning on continuing with the sale.  We got our down payment ready to go.  M went to daycare.  We even drove by the house before closing and had one last glimmer of hope that they would show up because it appeared that they had moved everything out.

We showed up to closing.  They didn't.

The kicker is that they HAVE moved out.  They are no longer living there.

We don't know what their problem is.  Are they being spiteful?  Do they have a better offer?  What?

Thank goodness for my parents for understanding and continuing to allow us to crash in their basement until we find a new house.  M continues to love being at Papa and Nanny's.  A cousin of mine had to stay with her parent's for 3 months last winter until they found a new house.  She told me that the time her boys had with their grandparents was priceless.  I have to agree.

We also found out on Sunday, that my Godfather Keith died in Nevada.  He is an over-the-road semi driver and was on his way from Minnesota to California with a load.  My dad spoke with him, semi to semi, on his way out on Thursday.  Dad called me after they spoke to tell me about their short conversation.  "Guess who I just saw?  Keith!  I saw a shiny semi coming towards me and thought that a semi that shiny had to belong to Keith.  Then I heard "Hey, Mike!  Is that you over there?"   They talked until their CB's went out of range.  After we got the call that Keith had passed, Dad said, "The last thing I said to him was 'have a safe trip'."  We don't know what happened. 

What I do know is that learning of his passing put this whole house thing into perspective.  We may not have a house right now.  But we do have a lot of other things.  We have each other.  We have a healthy boy.  We have jobs.  We have a roof over our head.  We are blessed.

May you rest in peace, Keith.

1 comment: