Bumbleberry

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Big Man's Birthday!

He was the first man in my life.

He's big. He's black. He loves me unconditionally.

He's Harley!

Harley's First Day Home



He was born on September 8, 2004 in South Dakota. My coming to be his owner was an interesting thing. I wanted a puppy, but I didn't want one that would shed. My co-worker, Danica had a standard poodle and was planning on getting another one. Good temperment, non-shedding, and a true life-long companion. She helped to tilt the scale of my hesitancy into "I need and want this puppy." I told no one. No one except a few friends, Danica, who is the mom to Harley's older brother, Paul and litter-sister, Debra. It even took me a while to tell my sisters.

Danica and Debra, Jen and Harley



I grew up in a "no animal in the house" family. It was fine by us. We had our fair share of animals outside...cows, cats, even a dog. But none of them belonged in the house.

Telling my parents was fun. I took him to their house and knocked on the door while I was holding him. My mom wondered what was wrong cause I never knock. She then looked down at this little 7-pound ball of black fur in my arms and knew. She told me I better tell my dad. He was the "enforcer" of the no-animals rule. He handled it surprisingly well. Harley is still not "allowed" in their house, but they don't mind that he's in mine when they come to visit.

He used to fit under the end table in the living room.


He was easily potty-trained. He barks...at other dogs, kids, people and does it loudly. He's loves walks, car rides, treats, and trips to the f-a-r-m. He's my protecter (so he thinks).

He thinks he's a lap dog.



He loves my niece, Ava. He'll be good with kids.

I can't wait for my first baby to meet my first "real" baby. Well...maybe I can wait 23 more weeks.

Happy 6th Birthday, Harley!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love it Jen! Happy Birthday to the first man in your life! That picture of us with the babies cracks me up- remember how Debra was so alert and kind of "all-over" Harley? She is totally still just like that! The little mother and the one that keeps everyone in line :) Harley will be so good with the baby- they are so patient. And I can't believe how tiny they were! I'm off to snuggle her right now!

    ReplyDelete