Bumbleberry

Monday, January 31, 2011

Mix of Emotions...

Today has been a whirlwind of emotions - good and bad.

I started the day being irritated at the bad roads on my way to work.  Luckily, I made it there safely, even though I was a few minutes late.

Whe I got off work early, I was able to go out to eat with my Mom and Dad, sister, Dee and nephew Wyatt.  Wyatt just learned how to walk.  Super cute!  He also caught a glimpse of Papa's malt.  When he sees something he wants, he turnes on the charm, smiles and all, until whoever the sucker is on the receiving end of those grins gives in.  Papa gave in!  But really, who wouldn't?  Tons of joy!

The biggest emotional...not rollercoaster...turn was actually on my way to work this morning.  I got a phone call around 5:50am.  I knew when I heard the phone ring that it was not going to be good.  My mom and dad knew I had to work this morning at 6am and knew I'd have my phone on me at that early hour.

My Grandma passed away.

We knew it was coming.  She had a stroke almost 2 years ago and has been in a nursing home since then.  A month ago, she decided to stop getting her anti-coagulation therapy even though she knew the risks of more clots returning.  Over the last week, her condition had worsened and the whole family didn't think it would be too much longer before...

Last night she had the mind to refuse her mouth being swabbed, but allowed the nursing staff to give her a low-dose of morphine to help with her labored breathing.  One of my aunts decided to spend the night with her.  Early this morning, she peacefully, calmly, and unlabored, slowed her breathing until she went to live with her Heavenly Father.

If you know my Grandma, this is where she wanted to be.

She loved her family.

All 11 children and their spouses, 49 grandchildren and 18 great-grandchildren with at least 3 more little ones on the way!

She was/is a wonderful woman.  She can now rest in comfort and peace.

With the delivery day of our kiddo coming in 2 weeks, it made me incredibly sad to know that my Grandma would never meet our little one...at least not on Earth.  In a way, I think it might just be her way to go up and watch over us as delivery day arrives and say an extra prayer and rosary for the health and safety of this new baby.  If we're really lucky, this baby will have a little of her personality, heart and spirituality too.  The Good Lord knows she had plenty of all three!

See what I mean?

A mixture of emotions.

We love you and will miss you Grandma, but we are happy that you are no longer hurting and you are where you truely want to be.  Give Ronnie a hug for me!


5 comments:

  1. Oh Jen, I am so sad for you, my Grandpa died when I was pregnant and it was so and hard, You have a wonderful perspective though and she will be an angel watching over you on your big day. Thinking of you. xoxo Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jen, I'm so sorry about your grandma! Sending prayers and hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kara Pauly BreeggemannFebruary 1, 2011 at 8:27 PM

    Beautiful post, Jenny. She truly was one of the best women that I've ever known. The memories... the comfort is knowing that she was ready,she's no longer suffering and she is hugging Ronnie, Joe and Mandy right now. And my Grandpa too. Your family is in our hearts.
    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear this, especially with your little one almost here. I love how you said she would be watching over you all on the birthday..... I'll be praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your Grandma. I remember all too clearly the mix of emotions; sorrow and sadness and joy and anticipation. It makes it all a little bittersweet, but try to be at peace, knowing she is at peace.
    Prayers and love to you.

    ReplyDelete