When I was little, it was all about the parade on Saturday followed by some rides. If we were really lucky, Mom and Dad would also let us watch fireworks on Sunday night from our car in the field next to our house. We lived out in the country and it just didn't make sense to my parents, who had 4 young daughters, to drive the 7 miles into town at 9:00 at night just to watch fireworks.
When I was in high school, it became less about the parade and more about the socialization. Wandering around the park, riding the rides, and trying to get in the beer garden with our friends parents just because we could. It wasn't about trying to drink at that point. It was, again, all for the socializing.
Then came the magical age of 21! We could now get in the beer garden legally, enjoy some adult beverages, and act a little stupid, because that was all anyone expected of a drunk 21-year-old. It was also a bonus that I had a best friend whose parents lived within walking distance of the park...didn't need a sober cab!
It's now 12 years later and I've reverted back to the child in me. It's all about the parade and fireworks. I had to work this weekend, so I missed the parade, but even after working 36 hours in 3 days, I was not missing the beautiful fireworks display. It's quite a long display and they are all put to music...fun, upbeat, dancing kind of music. They also try to throw in something new every year. This year it was BBQ in lights at the end of the show.
I am now seeing these things through the eyes of my 2-year-old niece. She's beautiful, energetic, and enjoys the wonder of the little things. Who knew a corn dog and a root beer float would actually lure her to sit down for 5 minutes?!?! I should have. Heck, it's ice cream and she does have Pieper blood in her!
Bar-B-Q Days...Can't wait for next year!
No comments:
Post a Comment