Bumbleberry

Thursday, November 4, 2010

One year ago today...

*****Disclaimer - Medical talk and some disgusting stuff will be discussed.*****

I was sitting in Pre-Op at this exact time (10:14am) waiting for the OR to be cleaned as I was the next patient in line.

It was my first experience being in the hospital as a patient and even though I tried not to show it, I was soooo nervous!  My first IV, my first admission, my first surgery, my first general anesthesia, and the best part, my first PCA.

I had found out about a month earlier that I had fibroids aka non-cancerous tumors on my uterus.  Usually not a big deal, but for someone who was trying to have a baby, it was something that needed to be removed in order to prevent infertility, miscarriage and pain.  Most people with fibroids have a hysterectomy, but since we were wanting kids, my doctor recommended removing them.  On the first ultrasound, they anticipated the largest fibroid to be about 8 cm in diameter.  The next day, I had an MRI and the size was then noted to be 9cm, but I also had several others of unknown size that needed to be taken out.  Surgery was scheduled which brought me to my day of firsts.

Surgery was uncomplicated tother than the fact that my uterus was the size of a 20 week pregnancy and the doctor had a hard time getting my uterus out of my abdomen in order to remove the fibroids.  The result of which was an 8 inch long incision on my lower abdomen.  It turned out that the largest fibroid was actually 12 cm, followed by another at 5cm and 6 more between 1-2cm each.  Rob joked that I had octuplets!  My doctor was even kind enough to take pictures of the fibroids once they were removed...picture to follow :)

For the next 3 days I was a patient and lucky enough to have wonderful friends and family come visit me.  I'll admit I was not the best company...especially for the first 2 days.  I would often doze off in the middle of conversations.  I think I made Rob extremely worried.  I remember my mom trying not to cry the first time she saw me after surgery.

On November 7th, I was discharged from the hosptial and spent the next 4 weeks at home laying low and getting the royal treatment from Rob, my parents and his parents who each brought us a meal to enjoy without having to cook.

When I think back to everything that has happened within the last year, I am in awe!  Surgery, our first wedding anniversary, the birth of a nephew and 2 nieces, not to mention the wonderful new addition that has been created and will arrive come February.


To all my family and friends...Thank You for being You!  You all have made this last year so much better just by being there for Rob and I.  You are amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment